Scope of Work
SCA seeks to excel in attracting, retaining, and developing a diverse cadre of staff whose competence and motivation is nurtured within a working environment where all staff – women and men – feel safe, are treated fairly, and can grow.
The Human Resources (HR) Department is a new establishment in SCAs Kabul Management Office (KMO), after formerly being a unit within the Administration Department. The HR department is responsible for managing, maintaining and developing SCA’s HR policies, processes and procedures, being a strategic management support while assuming a monitoring, capacity building and technical backstopping role on HR matters throughout the organisation and its offices in Afghanistan. The department contains two units: (i) the Human Resources Development unit, responsible for supervision of recruitment, learning & development, and (ii) the Staff Management unit responsible for contracts and databases, the HR management information system, payrolls, filing and archiving.
The incoming HR Director will be implementing and consolidating the new department, which includes establishing departmental and unit routines, hiring and managing staff capacity, managing daily operations and rolling out various reform processes for strengthening safeguarding systems, gender and diversity, harassment free work environment and non-discrimination. Specifically, the HR Director will lead efforts to increase the presence, participation and equitable treatment of women, minorities and people with disabilities. As the department is in its initial phase, the HR director will have ample opportunities to further develop the mandate, role and content of the department.
The HR director reports to the Country Director, is part of the Country Management Team, is the line-manager of the HR Development Unit Manager and Staff management unit Manager, and technically supervises the HR Managers of SCAs five Regional Management Offices (RMOs).
- Responsible for formulating and updating HR-related policies, processes and procedures.
- Develop, supervise and ensure effective implementation of strategic plans, annual workplans and budgets of the HR Department.
- Formulate and manage reform processes to increase gender and diversity equity, specifically to increase the presence, participation and equitable treatment of women, minorities and people with disabilities.
- Lead and manage the strengthening of safeguarding and protection systems, including guiding development of safeguarding focal points, and reporting, assistance and referral systems.
- Lead the development and oversee implementation of policies concerning harassment free working environment and non-discrimination.
- Responsible for the day-to-day supervision of the HR Development Unit Manager and Staff management unit Manager of the HR department at KMO and be the technical supervisor of HR Managers at the RMOs.
- Ensure provision of quality service by the recruitment, the contracts & database, safeguarding, and learning and development sections within the KMO HR department and the RMOs.
- Reinforce organisational values and culture in SCA, working in close coordination with the Internal Audit unit and the Finance Department.
- Manage the workload of the HR staff at KMO and RMO’s, to ensure staff are capacitated for the type work they are tasked with and that workload is equally distributed.
- Responsible for rolling out and further developing HRMIS in KMO and the RMOs.
- Works closely with the HR manager of the Stockholm Management Office in Sweden, in the HR management of international employees within delegated authority.
- Supervise and provide support in development of result-based annual plans and budgets in the HR Department.
- Review and approve the expenditure for HR Department according set threshold.
- Develop knowledge and skills for furthering the capacities of the HR Department.
- Review and approve the recruitment processes for Senior Officers and above.
- Any other official tasks assigned by the Country Director.
- Academic degree, ideally at master’s level, in Human Resources Management, Business Administration or equivalent, from a recognised institution of international repute
- Excellent command of spoken and written English
- At least 7 years of experience in an HR managerial position within an international NGO or institution in the humanitarian or development sector.
- Professional profile and experience within recruitment, maintenance of staff contracts & database, HR related policies and Learning & Development.
- Experience with systematic employee and beneficiary safeguarding, child protection, and protection against sexual exploitation and abuse.
- Demonstrated work experience in change management.
- Strong past records on strategic HR management, including setting and implementing strategic HR plans and designing and implementing reforms.
- Tangible experience in managing non-discrimination in the workplace, and leading/supporting gender and diversity reform processes.
- Strong past records on implementing HR Management Information Systems.
- Experience from work in conflict/post conflict areas.
- Experience in Muslim countries
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability and willingness to travel to project sites within Afghanistan and adjust to restricted home environment.
- Participated in HEAT-training or other security courses
- Contract period: 2 years with an initial 6 months probationary period
- Conditions: Non- family posting. SCA offers a competitive salary, free housing, insurances and other benefits.
- Duties to begin: October 2022
- Last date for application: 14 August 2022
- Apply from Human Resources Director | Svenska Afghanistankommittén (workbuster.com)
- Download a 1-page letter explaining why you are interested in and suited for this position and your CV (no more than 2 pages) in English.